We fund medical research across the whole spectrum of human health and disease.
Our donors either provide us with support for the general purposes of the charity, allowing the trustees to decide the most pressing health needs and the most important research questions to ask, or they provide support for research into specific areas of human health or disease and conditions that blight lives.
Our priority is always to honour the wishes of our donors and we hold their specific donations in separate funds to help us to do this. These are our current funds. They change all of the time depending on the priorities of our supporters. If you would like to make a donation or leave a legacy in your Will for an area of medical research that you do not see in the list below, please be encouraged to contact us – we will do everything that we can to help you fulfil your wishes.
General Purposes Fund
This fund holds bequests and donations given to the charity for general purposes. Expenditure from this fund must be within the remit of the Medical Research Foundation. There are no other restrictions on how this fund can be used.
Funds to investigate diseases that devastate lives and health conditions
These funds were established by bequests and donations and were restricted by the donors to support specific areas of research:
• Asthma Research Fund
• Cancer Research Fund
• Children’s Health Research Fund
• Crohn’s Disease Research Fund
• Diagnostic Techniques Research Fund
• Encephalitis Research Fund
• Eye Diseases Research Fund
• Fleming Memorial Fund for Medical Research
• General Purposes (Scotland) Research Fund
• Heart Diseases Research Fund
• Hepatitis Research Tartellin Fund
• John Chadwick Barlow Bequest Research Fund
• Leukaemia Research Fund
• Lupus Erythematosus Research Fund
• Mental Health Research Fund
• Motor Neurone Disease Research Fund
• Neurosciences Research Fund
• Nutrition Research Fund
• Pain Research Fund
• Parkinson’s Disease Research Fund
• Poliomyelitis Research Fund
• Prion Disease Research Fund
• Prostate Cancer Research Fund
• Respiratory Medicine Research Fund
• Rheumatic Diseases Research Fund
• Stroke-Arterial Illness Research Fund
• Shingles and Chicken Pox Research Fund
• The Liver Disease in Scotland Research Munro Fund
Funds to support key research institutes
• MRC Biostatistics Unit Research Fund
• MRC Clinical Sciences Centre General Fund
• MRC Clinical Sciences Centre Cardiovascular Imaging Research Fund
• MRC Clinical Trials Unit Research Fund
• MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Research Fund
• MRC Cyclotron Unit Horlock Bequest Research Fund
• MRC Human Genetics Unit General Fund
• MRC Institute of Hearing Research General Fund
• MRC Institute of Hearing Research Gray Bequest
• MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology General Fund
• MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Celltech Research Fellowship Fund
• MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Merck & Co Visiting Research Fellowship Fund
• MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Strauss Fund`
• MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Techne Studentship Fund
• MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Bio-Rad Visiting Research Fellows Fund
• MRC LMB Yamanouchi Research Fund
• MRC National Institute of Medical Research General Fund
• MRC National Institute of Medical Research Rosa Beddington Research Fund
• MRC Prion Unit Research Fund
• MRC Toxicology Unit Research Fund
• Sir Cusrow Wadia Fund
Funds to support key scientists research
• Balzan Prize Fund – To fund research as specified by Professor Tom Meade, London School of Hygiene and Tropical medicine.
• Descartes Prize Fund – To fund research as specified by Dr Ian Holt, MRC Mitochondrial Biology Unit, Cambridge.
• Fersht Research Fund – To fund research as specified by Professor Sir Alan R Fersht, University of Cambridge.
• Jeantet Prize (Henderson Fund) – To fund research as specified by Dr Richard Henderson, MRC’s Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge.
• Jeantet Prize (Pelham Fund) – To fund research as specified by Sir Hugh Pelham, MRC’s Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge.
• Jeantet Prize (Skehel Fund) – To fund research as specified by Professor Sir John Skehel, MRC’s National Institute for Medical Research, London.
• Jeantet Prize (Unwin Fund) – To fund research as specified by Dr Nigel Unwin, MRC’s Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge.
• MRC National Institute of Medical Research Genentech Research Fund – To fund pre-clinical growth hormone research by Dr I Robinson at the MRC National Institute of Medical Research.
• MRC National Institute of Medical Research Robinson Fund – To fund the purchase of specialist chemicals for Dr Robinson at the MRC National Institute of Medical Research.
Funding research into the future: permanent endowment funds
• Alice Cory Fellowship Fund established in 1965 by a residuary bequest under the will of the late Miss. A. M. Cory for medical research fellowships.
• Dorothy Temple Cross Research Fund established in 1929 by a gift from the late Mrs Florence Temple Cross initially to provide travelling fellowships abroad for research into tuberculosis, extended in 1965 to cover all diseases of the lung.
• Gertrude Nicholl Bequest Fund established in 1935 by a bequest under the will of the late Miss Gertrude Nicholl for the purpose of medical research.
• Sir Leonard Rogers Tropical Medicine Research Fund established in 1925 by Major General Sir Leonard Rogers to support research in tropical diseases and medicine.
• The Susan Catherine, Cecily May and Dr Thomas Beardwood Gornall Fund for Medical Research established in 1967 by a bequest under the Will of the late Dr T. B. Gornall.
• The Susan Catherine, Cecily May and Dr Thomas Beardwood Gornall Fund for Asthma Research established in 1967 by a bequest under the Will of the late Mrs C. M. Gornall.
• Williams Barker Bequest Research Fund received in 1994 from the estates of Ernest and Mary Williams to fund cancer research at a Yorkshire university.